Posted on December 9, 2008 by Signal to Noise
The staggering development of soon-to-be former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich’s apparent corruption, charges so blazen and blatant they would make “Lincoln roll over in his grave,” to paraphrase U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald (yes, that very same one in the Valerie Plame investigation; he is an equal opportunity angel of justice), is not staggering because a Chicago pol has some skeletons in his closet.
It is staggering because by all accounts, the Inanimate Carbon Rod, a Democrat, is quite possibly one of the dumbest men ever to hold elective office if all of the accusations hold up in court. He is accused of pay-for-play tactics that, per the FBI’s Robert Grant, shocked even the most hardened and cynical of agents.
Here is a basic laundry list of the most audacious alleged crimes contained in the indictment (PDF file):
- Schemed to sell the appointment of President-Elect Barack Obama’s Senate seat to the highest bidder in exchange for either a high paying position with a non-profit or a labor union, a placement for his wife Patricia on corporate boards, campaign funds, or an ambassadorship or cabinet post (he wanted to be Secretary of Health and Human Services, apparently)
- Threatened to put a halt to any public help to the Tribune Co. in selling Wrigley Field if they did not fire members of the Chicago Tribune’s editorial board who wrote unflattering portraits of him
- Wanting to hold up $8 million dollars for Chicago’s Children’s Memorial Hospital because its administrator didn’t cough up $50K for his re-election campaign
The last one is what really makes it art. Earlier in the day, I thought it boring, quid-pro-quo crap; there was no particular skullduggery that made it stand out, but as soon as you get the health and care of kids involved, there’s a new level of arrogance there that would make Karl Rove smile from ear to ear, no matter what the political party.
Filed under: douchebaggery, ego tripping, police blotter, politics, stupidity | Tagged: Chicago machine, corruption, Democrats, Illinois, Republicans, Rod Blagojevich | 1 Comment »
Posted on June 27, 2008 by Signal to Noise
I promise I didn’t abandon you. I’ve just been…..well, writing for other people, and it’s tough work, plus he’s got all those pictures of pretty women over there….I’ll be there tomorrow too, but I promise I’ll be back.
Here’s the stuff I’ve put up over at Sports By Brooks today:
From earlier in the week:
I’m getting better at this “blogging on deadlines” thing as it goes along, I think.
Filed under: Blogroll, ego tripping, guest posts, shameless self-promotion | Tagged: blogging on deadline, it's harder than you'd think, sorry for abandoning this place, Sports by Brooks | Leave a comment »
Posted on March 27, 2008 by Signal to Noise
It happens, from time to time, and this time Rick from Stiles Points asked me to participate in his “Beers With Bloggers” series. Go on and read the interview, now. It’s mostly worth it for my beer recommendation.
Filed under: Blogroll, ego tripping, interblog, shameless self-promotion | Tagged: alcohol, spouting off like I know something, Stiles Points | Leave a comment »
Posted on September 16, 2007 by Signal to Noise
Live-blog of the Chargers-Pats Sunday night game will be at Awful Announcing yet again this evening at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific. I’m planning a pre-game open thread this time, so that will probably be up at 7 PM Eastern. Please join me at AA’s with your spying jokes, Brady baby gags, riffing on Belichick’s ratty-ass hoodie, and anything NORV! related.
Back later in the morning with the reflections of 15 hours of college football viewing after sleep.
Filed under: Blogroll, Channel 4 News Team, ego tripping, interblog, live blog, shameless self-promotion | Leave a comment »
Posted on September 9, 2007 by Signal to Noise
Reminder: I’ll be live-blogging Sunday Night Football tonight over at Awful Announcing, after months of rust post-NCAA tourney. However, this is the Giants vs. the Cowboys, which means plenty of Romo jokes and picture of Eli Manning acting silly. Join me at 5 PM Pacific, won’t you? I steal from the comments liberally and credit them, too — we do it as half-live blog and half Hugh Johnson.
TV Notes: At least I get the Broncos vs. the Bills on CBS. It will make up for having the Lions and the Raiders forced on me this afternoon instead of Bears/Chargers.
Filed under: Blogroll, ego tripping, guest posts, interblog, live blog, NFL, shameless self-promotion | 8 Comments »
Posted on September 7, 2007 by Signal to Noise
PROGRAMMING NOTE: Yours truly will be live-blogging Sunday Night Football throughout the season (hopefully all 17 games) over at Awful Announcing. Join me this Sunday as I chronicle the clusterfuck of having nine analysts where four would do fine and since it is the Giants vs. the Cowboys, the numerous instances of Manning Face on Eli.
- Marco says goodbye to JCMJ as he works on the debut of a new blog. [Just Call Me Juice]
- Nine-layer Ranchero Dip. Mmmm….bacon. [Ladies…]
- UFC 75 previewing — since this one’s free, odds are I may watch. [Rumors and Rants]
- How ESPN will exploit the VA Tech-LSU matchup. [Strike Zones and End Zones]
- Too bad the Fulmer Cup scoring is over, because the U of New Hampshire just got a doozy. [Seacoastonline]
- Speaking of the Fulmer Cup, Zach interviews EDSBS’ Orson Swindle. [The Big Picture]
- Putting a positive spin on the White Sox. [Life in the Cell]
- Looking at the vagarities of the NHL’s draft age rules. (This reminds me that it’s also time to brush up on the puck season and also decide if I really want to subject myself to fantasy hockey again.) [Jibblescribbits]
- App State will be eligible for the AP Top 25 poll next week. [Sports by Brooks]
- If Tavaris Jackson is shaky as the Vikes’ starter, look at his opposing QBs. [Pacifist Viking]
Filed under: Blogroll, cheap shots, ego tripping, shameless self-promotion | 6 Comments »