A few notes I have after the detritus has finally settled over last night’s draft:
1. Kevin McHale lets Minnesota fans down once again. Draffs a potential superstar in O.J. Mayo and then deals him to Memphis for Mike Miller and Kevin Love, the latter will be very good, but I’m not sure that will be enough to keep fans from continuing to turn on the team. I expect another year of RandBall calling them “the McLovins.”
2. Did Pat Riley get outvoted on Beasley? Every time I hear him talk about the pick, it sounds like he really, really didn’t want him.
3. Portland’s front office is smarter than yours. Brandon Rush wouldn’t have been a bad fit, but to turn him into Jerryd Bayless is a frickin’ steal. Bayless, Roy, Oden, Outlaw, and Aldridge. NICE.
4. New York Knicks fans will boo anybody. Why they weren’t expecting Coach Pornstache to draft Danilo “The Big Cock” Gallinari, I don’t know.
5. Joe Alexander makes me want to watch Bucks games. So does Richard Jefferson. Good job, Milwaukee.
6. Kevin McHale should be glad he doesn’t suck as much as Michael Jordan in a front office role. D.J. Augustin is going to get burned on the defensive end in the Association early and often. Brook Lopez will eventually thank Charlotte for passing on him so he can have a career.
7. Brook Lopez, trading away Jefferson and getting Bobby Simmons’ expiring 2010 contract is as blatant a play for LeBron James to come to NJ/Brooklyn in 2010 as anything else I’ve seen yet. Danny Ferry, you have two years to deliver.
Anything y’all liked, hated, or want to note?
Photo: AP/Frank Franklin II
Filed under: NBA, NBA Draft, trades Tagged: | Brandon Rush, Brook Lopez, D.J. Augustin, Danilo Gallinari, Jerryd Bayless, Joe Alexander, Kevin Love, Kevin McHale, LeBron James, Miami Heat, Michael Beasley, Michael Jordan, Mike Miller, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Timberwolves, New Jersey Nets, New York Knicks, O.J. Mayo, Pat Riley, Portland Trail Blazers, Richard Jefferson