Just the usual quick and dirty here. My Final Four is still intact, but I can’t say that I think it will be after the next two days.
- UNC over Wazzu — this’ll be a slog of a game, I think, because this is the best defensive team the Heels will see unless they play UCLA in the final. UNC has enough talent to get by the Cougars, but they won’t be scoring 100 this time.
- Tennessee beats Louisville — the Cardinals are streaking right now and the Vols look vulnerable. My pick of Tennessee is pure sticking with my bracket; it could go either way.
- UCLA tops Western Kentucky — Nice run, Hilltoppers, but UCLA gets calls and plays defense too well. The Bruins can overcome a bad start.
- Xavier over West Virginia — Like L’Ville/Tenn, this is a bracket pick that I’m sticking with because I think this will be a close game and don’t really know how it will go. I think Xavier’s defense will be the defining factor.
- Kansas over Villanova — Jayhawks, although it will not be a walkover and Villanova will give them a very good game.
- Wisconsin ends Davidson’s run — On a Sweet 16 bracket, I picked Davidson for fun, but really, Bo Ryan’s defense seems to smother all and I don’t see another upset for the Wildcats here.
- Michigan State upsets Memphis — Watch. The Tigers will kill themselves with bad free throw shooting and being forced to take jumpers that don’t fall.
- Stanford beats Texas — Guard play is a big thing in the NCAA tournament, but having the Lopez twins to get points and clean up the boards will be crucial in a close Stanford win.
Photo: AP/Ted S. Warren
Filed under: college basketball, March Madness, NCAA | Tagged: Davidson Wildcats, Kansas Jayhawks, Louisville Cardinals, Memphis Tigers, Michigan State Spartans, North Carolina Tar Heels, Stanford Cardinal, Tennessee Volunteers, Texas Longhorns, UCLA Bruins, Villanova Wildcats, Washington State Cougars, West Virginia Mountaineers, Western Kentucky Hilltoppers, Wisconsin Badgers, Xavier Musketeers |